Sunday, December 8, 2013

They will know we are Christians by...our rules???

In trying to draw nearer to God, I am often seeking - "What does He want from me?"  I find myself reading certain verses of the Bible, reading books, and searching the internet for answers to questions.  It's often here that I begin to find a lot of arguing over details of scripture and specific Jewish laws.

Can we get a tatoo?
Should we only eat certain types of foods?
Is it ok to celebrate Halloween?
Is it ok to wear makeup?
What kind of music and media can we consume?

Etc...and most people have their opinions...many strong convictions and scriptures to back them up.  I have strong convictions about a few of these things too...but they are areas that between God, myself, and my hubbie we have determined the best way for us to please God is...or what we feel He is calling us to in that season.

I see this on facebook, oh my goodness, every single day!

And the thing is - no good comes from it!  Jesus said that all the law and all the prophets hinge on these two commandments, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.  And love your neighbor as yourself."
Paul says that those who attempt to be justified by the law live under a curse, because unless you can keep all of it, you are condemned by all of it.

And a very wise man once told me that he would rather be known by what he loves than what he hates.  Think about that - as Christians...how do we want to be known?  How should we represent Christ?

You know what God wants?  Relationship with us!  Relationship with each person on this planet.  And it is through THAT RELATIONSHIP that God will transform us into who we need to become...not arguing over issues and trying to convict one another.

Titus 3:9-11 sums it up nicely

"But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless. Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition, knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned."

In John 13:35 Jesus says:

“Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.”

This is how people are to know we are disciples of Christ - by our love.  They will know we are Christians by our love!

No comments:

Post a Comment