Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Don't Judge a Book by It's Cover

William Butler Yeats said to, “Think like a wise man, but communicate in the language of the people.” Wisdom is useless, knowledge is useless, understanding is useless, unless it can be shared and applied.  And God loves to use the foolish things of this world to confound the wise (1 Cor. 1:27).  Often wisdom, knowledge, and understanding are wrapped in packages that seem perhaps shallow or even unpalatable.  It is God’s pleasure to just such a thing.
In spite of all the times that God has shown me how while education and background and personal interests have little bearing on whom He chooses to bestow His wisdom, I can still, at times revert back to a less “evolved” time in my life, surrounded by academia and “proper breeding” when I was assured that the way one spoke indicated their own level of wisdom, knowledge, and understanding. 
I was not even aware that I was slipping back into old habits until recently a very precious woman shared her teaching and book with me.  I began reading it rather tentatively, sure that there would be little more than sticky gumdrop Christianity, womens’ issues that I had matured weeeell past, of course.  And as I began reading, I was stunned.  I could hardly finish a page for all the depth and meat.  I had to keep putting it down going back to the Bible to study more and understand what she was saying.  I have highlighting, underlining, notes in the margins, notes in my journal - I can't put it down, but I have to, because my brain is still downloading all the depth from just a few pages.  In this precious woman, with this delightfully girlfriendy personality, is a depth of wisdom that astounds me. 
Guess the old adage is still true: Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.

So thankful that God has proved that to be true in my own life, and convinces me again and again that He is the author and finisher of our faith, the only True Wisdom, and that without Him, we are all really nothing, and with Him we are an altogether more beautiful creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment