Saturday, March 16, 2013

Leader, Leader, Leader


There is a lot of chatter about “leadership” these days – I hadn’t really thought about it until recently, but growing up, in school and in church, I was encouraged to be a “leader” a lot.  And everyone always seemed to be reminding me that even if I didn’t feel like it I could be a leader.


Maybe I just misunderstood the intention, but honestly, I felt like that placed a lot of pressure and responsibility on me – responsibility to lead every single person with which I might come into contact.  Agh!  And I tried, and sometimes I did well, but all that leading left very little time for friendship, and created this almost one up, one down dynamic in nearly all my relationships – either I was leading or being led - no time to just be and enjoy each other's company.

At some point, I let that go.  And it was freeing.  And God brought me to a place where I found me, and who I am in Him. 

Then I thought more about this emphasis on being a leader – our pastor talks about it frequently – it is not a bad idea…what was it that wasn’t sitting right with me?
 
I realized that when I thought about a leader I thought about the burden of responsibility for the behavior and life of every single person around me – and y’all, I take responsibility seriously.  I couldn’t hold that! 
 
But what if instead, by just seeking God’s face, remembering to be in line with Him and His Word, you naturally radiate a light and hope that is enticing, influential.  It requires no effort other than pursuing Him, and letting Him woo you.
 
What
 a
relief.

Don’t get me wrong – leadership training is important, especially when you are in a set leadership position – learning to manage the dynamics of all relationships and roles is very important.  Just don’t get so caught up in trying to be something you think you are supposed to be that you miss the peace that comes from staying in line with the only one who can transform you into all you were meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment