Tuesday, February 5, 2013


Friendships are a tricky thing.  They are both fragile and strong, tender and tough.  They are the place where you can experience to most joy and growth and peace, but also the place that can inflict the most hurt in the most vulnerable of places. 

And if you learned how to do friendships poorly, and have to relearn how to build friendships as an adult it is even trickier. 

I often get frustrated with the process because with all the things that I have to do and someone else’s schedule, building a relationship is challenging.  First there’s even finding time to see each other, then finding time/place to talk over screaming mimis, and all the while trying to I.D. someone’s character to see what level of friendship is possible – all of it sometimes just makes a girl want to throw in the towel. 

Sometimes in the process, all the work that it takes to be real about where I am, and the time that it takes to build real friendships and plan and listen and invest…ugh…it just makes me nuts.  And I cry out to God, “I want intimate friendshipssss!  I want to know and love and be known and loved and accepted.  And just be able to be totally real – good, bad, ugly without any social pretense…” this is sometimes followed by sobs or shouting in anger or just whispered under my breath as I fold more clothes and clean up more spills. 

But you know what – lonely as I sometimes feel – God has always been this for me.  Sometimes people ask me how I can feel so close to God – well, because He’s always been there for me, and I have been lonely – A LOT!  And you know what, He always listens, always accepts me, always gives good advice, always sticks up for me, never lies to me, never talks behind my back, always keeps His Word…the list goes on forever.

So, maybe you feel lonely sometimes too, and you are tempted to go to facebook to feel connected or just build friendships with anyone just so there is someone – DON’T DO IT…go to God.  Let Him be your friend.

“I will never leave you or forsake you.” – God (Duet. 31:6, Heb. 13:5, etc)

 

3 comments:

  1. Wow. This is exactly what I needed today. Love you so much, Kandi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeni A. posted that last comment : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you too Jeni!!!!!! Sorry I just responded - I just saw your comment for some reason!

    ReplyDelete