Monday, February 4, 2013

Crazy Little Thing Called Love


The funny thing about love is – that you can never say for sure it’s love until it’s tested.

 

Love suffers long and is kind; Love does not envy; Love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;

Does not behave rudely, Does not seek its own, Is not provoked, Thinks no evil;

Does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;

Bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails.

                                         -1 Corinthians 13:4-8

 

How do you know if love suffers long – if it has been through a long time of suffering – it is patient.  How do you know if your love is not envious – when that person gets something that you wanted and/or think you deserve and you are not jealous but can celebrate their victory.

 

I was pretty sure that Scott loved me the day that we got married, but I can tell you for sure that after nearly six years of marriage, that man looooves me.  You know how I know?  Because even though we have been through trials and even though our relationship has been at times difficult to bear, that man has pushed through, believed in me, and chosen to love me anyway. 

 

And the best part, I didn’t deserve it. 

 

Now don’t get me wrong – I’m not a terrible wife – I don’t have low self esteem; I know that I have things I bring to the table, but there have been things that each of us have done to the other that was painful.  Intentionally or not, our actions hurt the other and deserved anger, punishment – any “reasonable” person would say so…but we chose, we choose to love anyway.

 

It’s through his love, that God has helped me to grasp HIS love for me, for you, for every single one of us.  We have messed up.  The Bible isn’t a book of suggestions – it is a book of how we are to live in concert with God’s will – if we fail at even one small part – we have sinned.  1 Cor. 13 goes on to talk about if we have all the gifts of prophecies and tongues but not love we are useless.  Jesus says all the law and prophets hinge on loving God with all of you and loving others as you love yourself.  I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty sure that I have been impatient with others…

 

The great thing is, even though I’ve failed, God still loves me anyway.  And I knooow – because seriously, I have tested it, trust me, He loves you too.  And the fact that He just loves me anyway, even though I definitely do not deserve it, gives me strength to keep getting back up and trying again, and tenderizes my heart to be a little more patient with others.

 

Go ahead, try it out – God loves you, and He’s willing to show you if you’ll let Him.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment