Sunday, December 11, 2011

Rose Colored Glasses

Today as we rushed out the door to the car and I started to pack my daughter into her car seat, I looked up and realized that we forgot her glasses. We were on a time crunch to get things done, so I rushed back inside to grab them. I picked them up, lifted them up to the light, and saw that her lenses were smudged. Usually I can just run the cloth over them a couple of times and that wipes the smudges clean but this time it was particularly difficult to get all the dust particles and smears off. (You can only understand if you’ve ever seen the face of a three-year-old after they’ve eaten…now imagine they have glasses…yeah…gross).


As I took the extra time to wipe her lenses clean, I thought about how, as parents, we are largely the lenses through which our children see the world. And we are often careless about taking care of our own minds, letting ideas, words, images, etc. endlessly fly in and around ourselves without a second thought. But what we fail to realize is that we leave our children to look through glasses that are smudged, scratched, streaked – they are left with lenses that keep them from seeing hazards clearly and cause them to bump into things or see things out of proportion. It reminded me to keep my heart and mind clean and clear before the Lord – let Him wipe my glasses clean and give me new glasses altogether if need be, so that I can help my sweet children to walk forward in peace and clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment