Thursday, July 14, 2011

Are You in the Way?

Recently I read a book on my Kindle that was recommended to me by a friend. It was an incredible book, by a Godly woman, full of rich, deep, pure scriptural Truths. This was the kind of book that one does not walk away from unchanged, unless you just fail to do anything more than read it for information. A week or so later, I went to purchase the book from the bookstore for a friend. I was surprised when I saw the cover; something about it gave it a tone of a cheesy self-help book. You know the type, they liter the shelves of the bookstore, going through spurts of popularity, only to end up in the bargain bin to make room for the next wave of ideas to come forth. The books are not transformational; they are just 5 cent theories that fizzle quickly. I was so embarrassed by the tone of the cover that I bought it in hardback so I could give it to my friend without the cover to distract her from the good word inside.
This sent my mind into overdrive, thinking about how God has equipped each of us with a ministry, and how sometimes our cover distracts from the good things inside. The cover of this book was not inappropriate; in fact she is a beautiful woman whom I respect and admire. But the truth is there was something about it that seemed to draw attention to her rather than the meat of the book.

My desire is that the ministry that God has given me is about making Him famous, not me. Please don’t think that I am suggesting that we all start becoming consumed with what others’ think about us and if it is causing them to like or dislike God more. That’s not a burden that anyone can carry. I hope that this will remind us that in our culture that tells us to pick ourselves up by our bootstraps and make a name for ourselves that we will do just the opposite. We will lay ourselves down at the altar of the Lord and ask Him to use us to make His name, and then we will get out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment