Sunday, May 22, 2011

An addition to my last post...

What kind of generation are we raising? I sat down for a moment to watch TV today and on one channel a guy is diming out one of the greatest cyclists in the world for dishonestly taking illegal performance enhancing drugs saying that to maintain a competitive position that is what had to be done; on the other channel a young man who might be considered a successful entrepreneur is selling “bath salts” that kids snort which causes hallucination and suicidal thoughts. We watched over the past week or so of the breakdown of a famous family of a governor and movie star.


Ideal – an adjective meaning perfect or excellent or a noun that is a thing considered a model for perfection

I would describe myself as a “realistic idealist”. By that I seek to understand and attain the ideal while asking God to help me accept the present reality of the situation and to do what I can to affect positively the situation without being discouraged at where it falls short of my ideal.

I have always been an idealist, but I realized that this is a luxury rarely afforded those who seek to promote change unless I balance it with a healthy dose of reality.

In school I struggled with the fact that people cheated on tests, never read the books assigned, and essentially did whatever was needed to get by…in college I learned that those people were usually at the top of the class. There was literally too much work assigned to actually do it all; doing all the work would burn a person out. Professors even told me to do what I needed to do to get by, and that broke my heart of the beautiful dream I had about an education.

In business I watched others do what needed to be done to create the numbers that others were looking for and turn on the charm when they were being watched, but they cut corners and they mistreated the people affected. People complained, of course, but no one would stand to make a change, and when I did I was blacklisted. This broke my heart of the dream that I had about using business to improve peoples’ lives and change the world.

Even in churches I have seen people busy to work at “mission projects” and “salvation/attendance numbers”, but disrespect and gossip about others and often neglect their own families. I am thankful to say that our home church has leadership that is seeking to create a culture that is very different from this and is bold enough to address these issues when they arise, but I know we can all relate to the discouragement of finding that the church is not a safe place either.

But understand this, that in the last days will come perilous times of great stress and trouble [hard to deal with and hard to bear].


For people will be lovers of self and [utterly] self-centered, lovers of money and aroused by an inordinate [greedy] desire for wealth, proud and arrogant and contemptuous boasters. They will be abusive, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, and profane.


[They will be] without natural [human] affection (callous and inhuman), relentless (admitting of no truce or appeasement); they will be slanderers (false accusers, trouble-makers), intemperate and loose in morals and conduct, uncontrolled and fierce, haters of good.


[They will be] treacherous [betrayers], rash and inflated with self conceit. They will be lovers of sensual pleasures and vain amusements more than and rather than God.


For although they hold a form of piety (true religion), they deny and reject and are strangers to the power of it [their conduct belies the genuineness of their profession of faith]. Avoid all such people [turn away from them].


For among them are those who worm their way into homes and captivate silly and weak-natured and spiritually dwarfed women. -2 Timothy 3:1-6


These are some pretty bold statements.

As an addition to my previous post regarding “the fall” and temptation, be mindful of those who claim Christ but God tells you to avoid. You can trust that He knows who is with Him and not, and we can tell the truth by their fruit, but sometimes it is better not to wait to get to the fruit…trust God’s guidance.
I so desire to raise my children up with character and integrity. I know that this is not inborn; it is the will - trained and transformed through leadership and most importantly the power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment