Friday, April 22, 2011

"How Great Thou Art"

Country music flows through my veins...it resonates so strongly with me...here's a video clip from The American Academy of Country Music's "Girl's Night Out" tribute to some great women in country music.  Carrie Underwood with Vince Gill singing "How Great Thou Art"

I wish I could find the words to articulate what watching and hearing this does for me...I find that it is spiritual, connecting to the deepest parts of me (and then I feel that sounds almost cliche').  God has placed a love to sing so deep in my heart, and He first drew me to music through the sounds of an accustic guitar and fiddle, through the voices of women like Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette, Reba, The Judds, LeAnn Rimes, and more.  I remember as a little girl dressing up in a dress, boots, and cowboy hat to perform my favorite country songs for my parents.  Singing has helped me through the most trying times and expressed my joy in the sweetest moments.

Just seeing these men and women that I so deeply admire, and pray that one day I will get to be apart of stand and sing praises to our God brings me to tears.  I know that many joke that country music only sings about getting drunk, the woman who left, and the dog died, but there is so much more.  There are songs about the truths in the depths of our hearts, they are emotional, raw.  And country music as an industry is still a place where the name of the Lord is exalted and praised, and serving His people is a priority...I love that.



When I was in high school my family visited Nashville and my sister and I sang on the stage at the Ryman, as close to the "spot" (Ryman is the original Grand 'Ol Opry where all the greats in country music history have sung, and when they moved the Opry, they cut a hole in the stage around the area where artists would stand) as we could, and then we stood on the steps of the new Opry and sang our hearts out...just so I could say I sang at the Opry.  I still remember the day that Carrie Underwood was inducted into the Grand 'Ol Opry...here she was, just a girl from a small town, being inducted into the Opry by Randy Travis. I wept...that's my dream...someday, I hope to sing on that stage, and sing praises to the Lord that this precious dream he's placed in my heart has come true.   

No comments:

Post a Comment