Saturday, February 19, 2011

If I Were an Animal I Would be...

A couple weeks ago a very special lady asked our small group, "If you were going to be an animal, what kind of animal would you want to be?" This is an icebreaker I have known from childhood and have always really struggled with my answer. Each time I probably answered something drastically different: tiger, giraffe, monkey - each representing some particular trait I was admiring at the time I guess.

I have really been mulling over why this is such a difficult question for me. Scott answered right away - a grizzly bear. Why? Well because they have no natural enemies, they get to live in the woods, they hunt and fish every day, and they sleep all winter. It makes perfect sense for him. Why can't I think of what I want to be; the truth is the closest animal I can think of to myself is a cat (sigh), and I also happen to think that cats are probably the most useless animals on the face of the planet (unless, of course, you happen to live in the country and the cats eat snakes, mice, and rats - none of which are traits that I can relate to).

It has occured to me that perhaps the reason this is such a challenging question for me is largely to do with the fact that the things I hold closest to my heart are unique to humans. I love communication, a word well written, the way a song can transform your mind. I am introspective, mostly, but I am passionate about relationships with my family. They are almost like breath to me. None of these things can be found in any animal, and unfortunately the cat is the only animal that I can think of as being "reflective" perhaps - maybe coy is really a better word for them. But they are inconsistent, loyal to no one, and house cats are lazy (a little wink to Tammy) - so this is not me or anything I aspire to be.

Aha! I thought of it! Just now! Outside of relationships and words and purpose and dreams, I really find everything else to be shallow and menial unless they are united with the purpose of people, excepting only one thing - singing. I love to sing. I love to dance. I would be a song bird, belting the cries of my heart from morning to night. In the morning I would sing up the sun and at night I would sing sweet lullibies to my baby birds. Oh how sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment