Wednesday, January 19, 2011

All These Things Will Be Added to You...

In this age of entreprenuers and industry everyone has an idea, a dream, a company, a product, etc. And everyone wants to sell your their product (from soap, to gadgets, to Jesus), and they want to get you "on board" with their company vision. But most importantly, they want to motivate you to do the most amount of work for least amount of compensation. Our modern age has taught us to be so transactional, so busy, so noisy, so...distracted.

I find that God is telling me to stop trying to worry about what "good" things I can do or causes to be a part of, but literally, every second of every moment of every day to talk to Him and listen and seek in every single thing from laundry, to eating, to watching TV, to talking, everything - and He will guide me where I need to be. He keeps telling me to resist the urge to get caught up in a whirlwind of busy-ness; everytime I hear someone's vision I find myself almost intoxicated by their words, and I have to come home, be quiet, and listen. Actually what works best for me is to let it all go - literally decide to let go of everything short of just taking care of Laurelei's basic needs, and then trust God to bring back to me the things that need to be in my life and all this in peace.

This is hard. We are taught to be busy. Joyce Meyer says that when we are living not for the approval of others, but only for the approval of Jesus Christ (the only judge who matters anyway) our lives will not be hectic. We have only been given the grace enough to do what He has called us to do; let's not waste it.

Matt. 6:33 says to "Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you". What exactly are "all these things"? Jesus is smack dab in the middle of the sermon on the mount, and He has just talked about:
-The Beatitutdes
-We are the Salt and Light
-Christ fulfills the Law
-Two greatest commands: love the Lord with all and love neighbor
-rid of anger, reconcile with others
-cut of anything that causes sin
-do not divorce
-don't swear
- yes is yes and no is no
-don't retaliate
-love and pray for enemies
-give not to be seen
-How to pray
-do not fast to be seen
-build up treasure in heaven
-can't have two masters
-don't be anxious about life stuff

And then after telling the people that these are traits that they must have, He says, "BUT seek first the Kingdom of God and HIS Righteousness, and ALL THESE THINGS will be added to you." LIGHTBULB!!!! All those things, not just food and water. All the things that I need to be. I don't have to try to behavior modify to be all those things, I just need to seek Him and they will flow out of me naturally.

So while there are great visions and projects and a long list of things that would probably be best not to do just stop, stop right there. Be you, the real you, right where you are, and seek Jesus. Let Him love you right where you are, and seek Him, and as you do, He will pull out the ugly things inside, place you where you need to be, and transform you into a powerfully effective (not code for really tired) and righteous person.

That is my goal and prayer right now - for both you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment